Alexander Valley Wineries
The Alexander Valley is located between the town of Healdsburg and the Calistoga area. This is the warmest of the three winery valleys, and because of the climate the wineries located here are most renowned for their Cabernet Sauvignon. It is in this valley that you can find well known names such as Silver Oak, historic family wineries like Robert Young Estates, and hidden gems such as Garden Creek.
Steve’s Favorite Alexander Valley Wineries
Great tours in this valley:
- Garden Creek offers intimate, private tastings that all of our guests truly rave about. Expect to spend at least an hour here, enjoying high end Chardonnay and a red Cabernet blend.
- Robert Young offers daily tours at 11:00a.m. (excluding Sunday), which includes a tour of their wine cave.
- Lancaster Estate offers beautiful private tours of their vineyards and wine cave, as well as cheese & wine pairings.
- Jordan Winery offers tours daily at 11:00a.m., and library tastings at 2:00p.m. Fills up quick, so book early.
- Alexander Valley Vineyards offers complimentary wine cave tours at 11am and 2pm daily. Also offer cheese and wine pairings, 5 cheeses and 5 wines, by appointment.
- Stonestreet offers tours of the property by appointment, which includes lunch. Allow for 3 hours.
- Chalk Hill Estate offers a fantastic 2 1/2 hour long Culinary Tour, Wed-Sat at 11:00a.m.
Picnics in this valley:
- Hawkes is conveniently located next door to the Jim Town Store, a great place to pick up lunch!
- Stryker Sonoma has beautiful picnic facilities.
A very small winery run by a two man, husband and wife team, Justin & Karin. A reservation here is a very intimate experience, including a tasting of their Chardonnay and red blend called Tesserae. Their philosophy is, “Less is more. Keep it true to the Garden Creek Terroir-that place we call home.”
The Hawkes family has been growing grapes in Alexander Valley Since 1971. Back then, people didn’t believe that you could grow great Cabernet Sauvignon in Alexander Valley. Almost forty years later, grapes grown on the Hawkes estate have helped produce some of the most prestigious Cabernets in the world. Today, they strive to translate their extraordinary standards for the quality of our grapes into extraordinary wines, wines that serve as proof of Alexander Valley’s unique character and potential.
Beautiful winery set on Chalk Hill Road, producing only high end Cabernet Sauvignon and Savuginon blanc. The beuatiful property includes a labyrinth 9000 square foot wine cave. Private tastings occur in the wine library in the wine cave, and cave tours are also available.
An iconic Sonoma County family winery with history dating to the 1800s. Small production, high quality product. Best known for their Chardonnay because of the renowned wineries they sell grapes to, but naturally this area is known for its cabernet, and those are the two flagship wines of Robert Young. Visit for a simple tasting of their amazing wines, or make time for one of their daily tours! Stryker Sonoma (great picnic grounds). The focus of their winemaking efforts is centered around the Cabernet family of varietals. Nonetheless, we also have a keen interest in Zinfandel and Chardonnay. The annual production is roughly 7,000 cases, consisting of many small lots averaging in size from 200 to 400 cases each. Most of our annual production is sold directly to consumers from the winery’s tasting room and through our wine club and website.
The wine style of Stryker Sonoma is guided by a youthful enthusiasm and tireless dedication to the pursuit of quality and pleasure. We are a fun-loving group with a slightly irreverent attitude with respect to the traditional methods of producing and marketing wine. We go to considerable expense to grow and produce pure, balanced wines that are fully extracted, rich in complexity and exude depth of character. These wines are enjoyable in their youth, but also reward those with patience.The wines of Stryker Sonoma are truly handcrafted, making use of both old-world traditional methods and the judicious integration of modern tools designed to allow for gentler handling of both fruit and wine. Our approach is sometimes risky, but the resulting bold, forward style is what we like to drink and we have found a growing following that also appreciates these wines.
Some other great stops in this valley are:
Alexander Valley Vineyard (cave tours and wine and cheese tastings available), Clos du Bois, Jordan Vineyard & Winery (reservation needed), Hanna Winery (beautiful views!), Silver Oak Cellars
Don’t forget the Jim Town Store, located right next door to Hawkes Winery, for a great lunch stop!